.

Brno Architecture Manual

 

Building

Back
   

C134

MASARYK UNIVERSITY RECTOR'S OFFICE 1921

 

Grohova 63/7 (Veveří) Brno Střed

Public transport: Grohova (TRAM 3, 4,9,11, 12)

Obilní trh (TRAM 4)

Smetanova (TROL 32, 34, 36)

Úvoz (BUS 25, 26, 38, 39, 81)

GPS: 49°12'3.113"N, 16°35'52.416"E

 

Architect

Audio Recording

Download MP3
Download the Latest Version of Flash

Type of object

Text

Masaryk University in Brno was established soon after the formation of Czechoslovakia in 1919. In spite of the difficult times of the post-war development crisis, it was necessary to provide for the operation of individual faculties and find adequate facilities for them. Owing to financial reasons, building new facilities was out of the question; adjustments of existing military quarters and social institutions appeared to be the simplest solution. In this context, the idea to expand the grounds of the former municipal orphanage in present-day Arne Nováka street to suit the needs of the Faculty of Arts and the University Rector's Office was formulated.

Josef Matzenauer, a representative of the building authority, collaborated in designing the work with Miloš Laml, who was charged with the management of the office for the development of Masaryk University facilities. The main entrance of the new building of the Rector's Office looked out on Grohova Street and its monumental mass as well as segmentation by cornices refer to the classicist tradition. The building became a symbol of the lofty democratic principles of state institutions in the young country and its strict formal purposefulness cleared the way for modern purist architecture.

Literature

 

 

Rozšířené vyhledávání