.

Brno Architecture Manual

 

Building

Back
   

C142

INSTITUTE OF FORENSIC MEDICINE OF MASARYK UNIVERSITY 1923

 

Tvrdého 562/2a (Stránice) Brno Střed

Public transport: Tvrdého (BUS 35,38, 39)

Tvrdého (BUS 25, 26,35,38)

Úvoz (TRAM 4)

GPS: 49°11'49.601"N, 16°35'31.28"E

 

Architect

Audio Recording

Download MP3
Download the Latest Version of Flash

Type of object

Text

After the establishment of Masaryk University in 1919, it was necessary to find or build new sites for individual faculties. Many found temporary home in the buildings of former welfare institutions which had moved outside Brno. The Regional Political Administration set up a special department in charge of building the new university - a project involving both adaptations of existing buildings as well as the construction of new ones; the department was managed by architect Miloš Laml. The first newly built facility designed by Laml was the Institute of Anatomy of the Medical Faculty in Úvoz Street from 1920; it occupies the site of former military barracks. A design by the same author was used for building the Institute of Forensic Medicine of Masaryk University on the other side of Tvrdého Street. This building was not completed until 1929-30, due to lengthy bureaucratic procedures. The building consists of the entrance two-story part on an L-shaped ground plan housing administrative and residential rooms.  It merges into a curved connecting wing leading to dissection rooms and laboratories and the lecture room with an apse situated in the inner yard. The vestibule with the staircase, situated immediately behind the entrance, is the center of the composition and the junction of all movement within the building. The entrance portal consisting of pillars and an architrave is the only prominent element on a smooth front segmented only by windows skirted with plain bands.

Literature

 

 

Rozšířené vyhledávání