.

Brno Architecture Manual

 

Building

Back
   

C314

COMPLEX OF SEMI-DETACHED HOUSES 1923 - 1924

 

Alešova 34,36,38,40/34,36,38,40 (Černá Pole) Brno Sever

Public transport: Štefánikova čtvrť (TRAM 5)

Štefánikova čtvrť (BUS 44, 46, 57)

Fügnerova (TRAM 9, 11)

GPS: 49°13'5.515"N, 16°37'22.414"E

 

Architect

Audio Recording

Download MP3
Download the Latest Version of Flash

Type of object

Fotogalerie

Text

The designs for the standardized semi-detached houses in Alešova Street in Černá Pole were created in 1923; the information published in the Salon journal in 1926 mentions Jan Vaněk, Jaroslav Grunt and Stanislav Kučera as the architects. And yet, it is quite likely that the concept for these "one-wall houses" originated in cooperation with Adolf Loos, for one can find a similar solution in Loos' houses from 1921 in the Friedensstadt estate in Vienna. The architect had this structural system patented in the same year.
The design of the semi-detached houses in Alešova Street is based on the support function of the transverse side walls protruding above the level of the roof, so the frontage without any foundation is merely suspended on these walls. This lowered building costs and enabled serial production so that these houses could become a housing option affordable to wide circles of the population. The houses had a plain cubic shape with entrances located in the side facade and a simple layout divided by the staircase leading to the first floor into two parts. The ground floor housed the kitchen and living room; two bedrooms and the bathroom were situated upstairs. Furnishings also involved built-in furniture with a white varnish finish.

PH

Literature

 

 

Rozšířené vyhledávání